Direct Relief, a leading humanitarian non-profit medical support organization, is seeking a talented and motivated Data Scientist to join our team. As a Data Scientist at Direct Relief, you will play a critical role in leveraging data and analytics to drive strategic decision-making, optimize operations, and improve our ability to deliver essential medical resources to those in need around the world.
- Data Analysis and Modeling: Conduct in-depth analysis of complex datasets to extract meaningful insights, identify trends, and develop predictive models. Apply statistical and machine learning techniques to solve real-world problems in the humanitarian sector
- Spatial Analysis: Utilize spatial analysis techniques to analyze geographic and location-based data. Identify patterns, trends, and correlations to inform decision-making and optimize resource allocation. Proficiency in Python and/or R for spatial analysis is a plus.
- Data Pipeline Design and Management: Design and develop efficient data pipelines using SQL, BigQuery, and other tools to collect, clean, transform, and store large volumes of data from various sources. Ensure data quality, integrity, and security throughout the data lifecycle.
- Visualization and Reporting: Create visually compelling and intuitive dashboards, reports, and data visualizations to communicate insights effectively to stakeholders and facilitate data-driven decision-making.
- Collaborative Problem Solving: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including program managers, healthcare professionals, and IT experts, to identify data needs, define problem statements, and develop analytical solutions that address critical challenges in the medical support domain.
- Continuous Learning and Innovation: Stay up-to-date with the latest advancements in data science, machine learning, and spatial analysis techniques. Evaluate and implement new tools, technologies, and methodologies to enhance data-driven decision-making processes.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Data Science, or a related field. Equivalent work experience may be considered.
- Proven experience as a Data Scientist or similar role, with a track record of delivering actionable insights and solutions.
- Strong proficiency in programming languages such as Python and/or R. Experience with spatial analysis libraries (e.g., GeoPandas, sf) is highly desirable.
- Solid understanding of statistical analysis, machine learning algorithms, and predictive modeling techniques.
- Proficiency in SQL and experience with managing data pipelines using BigQuery or similar technologies.
- Familiarity with mapping and data visualization tools (e.g., Qlik, ArcGIS) to create compelling visualizations and reports.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to translate business requirements into technical solutions.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to effectively present complex findings to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Passion for the mission of Direct Relief and a desire to contribute to global healthcare initiatives.
US based applicants only.
Employment Type: Full-time Regular
Location: California, Santa Barbara, CA, US
Salary Range: $120,000.00 – $140,000.00 Annually
This salary range for this position is $120,000 to $140,000 per year and will be commensurate with the candidate’s previous experience, credentials and location. Additionally, Direct Relief offers a generously paid medical, dental and vision plan. Also, a flexible spending accounts, 401(k) plan, accrued paid time off, life insurance, disability coverage, other life and work wellness benefits.